[Xen-users] Xen Kernel problem (DMA at Compilation)

 Hi,

I try to use XEN, but have some problems with getting it started on my
machine. (My settings are listed at the bottom).

My first problem is that if I boot into Xen the kernel hangs while
booting, such that I have to do a hard reset. It doesn't hang always at
the same place, but most often around the time when suse wants to start
the suse firewall. However XEN boots when I turn DMA of. (ide=nodma).
This is very annoying since I need DMA, so what can I do?

I read somewhere that this could be caused by the generic IDE driver and

one should compile only the specific IDE (PIIx...) driver into the
kernel.

I tried this but run into the following problem. I use the standard
configuration file from Suse for Xen as placed
in /boot/config-2.6.11.4-21.8-xen and changed some options (mainly only
the IDE driver modules.)
(make ARCH=xen menuconfig; make ARCH=xen all)
However after compiling for a long time I see the following output.

[...]
 AR      arch/i386/lib/lib.a
  GEN     .version
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
arch/xen/kernel/built-in.o(.text+0x85b): In function `ctrl_if_suspend':
arch/xen/kernel/ctrl_if.c:466: undefined reference to `teardown_irq'
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x45cf7): In function `balloon_process':
drivers/xen/balloon/balloon.c:275: undefined reference to
`kmap_flush_unused'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

What is causing the problem? How do I get arround this?
Any specific options I must set (or must not set) in menuconfig to get
the kernel compiled?

Further, if I want to use the latest xen sources (like xen 2.0.7 or even
unstable, how do I combine this with the provided (already patched) SUSE
kernel sources?

My settings:
Compaq Armada M700 Laptop
Suse 9.3 with Xen (latest Update as of today).
gcc version 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)
Xen  2.0.5c
(source) of kernel:/usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.8
(running) Kernel: vmlinuz-2.6.11.4-21.8-xen

Help is very much appreciated, since I am totally stuck after several
nights of trying out.

(Please also reply to my email address since I am not subscribed)

Best Regards,
/Ra