Re: [Xen-users] Using zebra

Gobbledegeek wrote:

Hello
       Anyone used Zebra routing daemon and created virtual routers
before? Is it possible to run OSPF/BGP on each virtual server and get
them to talk to each other?
I'm new to Xen and I need to know...  I will be trying this out in the
coming days and I want to know about any pitfalls to avoid.

Yes, I've done this to provide small "units" that can be individually traffic
shaped more easily and also heartbeat used
to fail over between live parallel domUs. The bad news is that at least on
Fedora core 4 the network stalling issue
described at length here is a significant issue. A domU will lose all its
connectivity on all interfaces for up to 20
minutes and then resurrect itself. During this time packets inside the domU are
queued and those attempting to get in
are dropped. Also the dynamic IRQ count for the vif is frozen during this
interval.

There is also a packet drop issue (0.1%) on the vifs and that can be reduced by
attaching a qdisc and setting up a queue
to smooth the input to the vif.

Heartbeat mitigates this problem somewhat, but on occasions two sessions can
fall over at once...

Dave