[Xen-users] Re: Xen installation

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 06:36:36PM +0500, Timur Irmatov wrote:
> I'm trying to install xen-2.0-testing and having some troubles.. Docs
> for Xen seem to be pretty vague about installation process and mostly
> tell me to use binary package.
>
> I want to compile my own kernel (both privileged and unprivileged),
> and can't figure out, how..
>
> Could someone tell me precise steps to do this?

* Unpack kernel source tree somewhere (call it $KERNELSRCDIR)

* cd $XENSRCDIR/linux-2.x.yy-xen-sparse

* Run mkbuildtree from the linux-2.x.yy-xen-sparse directory with
        $KERNELSRCDIR as an argument (eg ./mkbuildtree $KERNELSRCDIR)

        normal, but set the architecture to xen *at* *all* *times* (ghods
        how much mess I've caused by not following that rule).  So,
        basically:

        - make ARCH=xen menuconfig
        - make ARCH=xen dep
        - make ARCH=xen vmlinuz
        - make ARCH=xen modules
        - make ARCH=xen modules-install

* Copy the built vmlinuz file to /boot/whatever.

The only difference, effectively, between the dom0 and domU is choosing
whether to enable the privileged guest (dom0).  Note that a lot of kernel
options (IDE support) tend to get turned off in domU mode, so don't worry if
your .config file looks a little thin when building the domU.

- Matt