Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen installation

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Stephan Böni <boeni@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:26:50 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 16:24:51 +0000

>> I'm trying to install xen-2.0-testing and having some troubles.. Docs
>> for Xen seem to be pretty vague about installation process and mostly
>> tell me to use binary package.
>>
>> I want to compile my own kernel (both privileged and unprivileged),
>> and can't figure out, how..
>>
>> Could someone tell me precise steps to do this?
>
>* Unpack kernel source tree somewhere (call it $KERNELSRCDIR)
>
>* cd $XENSRCDIR/linux-2.x.yy-xen-sparse
>
>* Run mkbuildtree from the linux-2.x.yy-xen-sparse directory with
>       $KERNELSRCDIR as an argument (eg ./mkbuildtree $KERNELSRCDIR)

>       normal, but set the architecture to xen *at* *all* *times* (ghods
>       how much mess I've caused by not following that rule).  So,
>       basically:
>
>       - make ARCH=xen menuconfig

# make ARCH=xen menuconfig
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/xen/Kconfig
arch/xen/i386/Kconfig:747: can't open file "drivers/pci/pcie/Kconfig"
make[1]: *** [menuconfig] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

>       - make ARCH=xen dep
>       - make ARCH=xen vmlinuz
>       - make ARCH=xen modules
>       - make ARCH=xen modules-install
>
>* Copy the built vmlinuz file to /boot/whatever.
>
>The only difference, effectively, between the dom0 and domU is choosing
>whether to enable the privileged guest (dom0).  Note that a lot of kernel
>options (IDE support) tend to get turned off in domU mode, so don't worry if
>your .config file looks a little thin when building the domU.

What's wrong? Do you have any solution?

Thanks
Stephan