Re: [Xen-users] Xen on production enviroment

Hi John,

And an excellent stab that was.
I have two network interfaces. eth0 is a 3Com with a
Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet chip,
and eth1 is a 3Com 3cSOHO100-TX Hurricane chip.

On the gigabit card, I couldn't test anything, because I could not
find out how to disable/enable/check checksum offloading. Using
ethtool gives: Operation not supported

For the Hurricane card, though, disabling checksum offloading with:

  ethtool -k eth1 rx off
  ethtool -k eth1 tx off
  ethtool -k eth1 tso off
  ethtool -k eth1 sg off

*DOES* in fact allow the network connection to complete to _this_
interface, but not eth0. I can ssh to the guest domain from Domain_0
if I use the ip address of the guest domain interface that is bridged
with Domain_0's eth1.

So I guess you were quite right sir!

I cannot say whether or not this affects network performance
or the server load.

Sadly, this is doesn't completely solve my problem because, as
fate would have it, all my *other* guest domains are bridged with
eth0. I'm still looking for a way to disable checksum offloading
there. I had no luck before, but I was using the name of the
linux module (tg3) to search for information, perhaps if I try with
the name of the chip (Broadcom BCM701) I'll have better luck.

Many thanks for the fine suggestion!

/*
 Long thread about network connection from host to guest domain
 not working deleted...
 */

--
Ramiro Brito Willmersdorf  Dep. Engenharia Mecânica/UFPE
ramiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        tel: +55 81 2126-8231e239