[Xen-users] Basic Xen Questions

I did the favor of making a new thread for this...

Firstly.  If you have not yet, http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstart

I can tell you that even since FC4 was released, Xen has changed a lot.  Since the FC4 packages are reflecting the 3.0 development, using the Xen 2.0 user guide is not 100% accurate, I have tried.  Also, it seems that the latest FC release 1447 of Xen is noticably different than the 1398 release, as some of the xm commands are different.  Personally I would expect future releases to do the same so I suggest test any upgrades on a staging server.

About Network:  As long as you have nics=1 in your conf file for your domU, the network device should be available in your guest OS as eth0.  In Redhat-esque style, you would edit your network config in /etc/sysconfig/.  I just copied /etc/sysconfig/network* from another machine, and did a
grep -rin "192.168.0.3" /etc/sysconfig/*
for the IP of the machine I took the config from, and updated to the new IP for my domU.

As far as installing OS other than FC4 inside of domU, I have installed CentOS.  Here are the steps I have used.  I imagine you can use this for any distro that uses Yum.

  1. Create my image (I use LVM, but you can use loopback), mke2fs -j to that image
  2. Temporarily move  /etc/yum.repos.d/* files out of that directory
  3. Copy Centos-Base.repo into /etc/yum.repos.d/
  4. Edit Centos-Base.repo to replace all the of variables with the values you want.  Yum can't install for a different releasever and basearch, so you set these by hand in the repo file.  You could also install from local filesystem like DVD by using file:// instead of http in the repo file.
  5. Mount the image to /mnt/tmpdir
  6. yum --installroot=/mnt/tmpdir -y groupinstall Base
  7. Follow the rest of the steps in the Fedora Xen Howto for the rest.
I also have been running Gentoo 2005.0 which I moved over from User-Mode-Linux.

Hope this helps.

Johnson, Michael wrote:
Hi,
Could you help me with a few Xen questions?  It's basic stuff.  I'm
looking at Xen for the first time.  We have VMWare already up and
running and are happy with it but I was asked to look at Xen.

I installed FC4 from cd and chose to install everything, including Xen.
Following the Xen User's manual Xen v2.0 for x86 I have a dom0 setup and
created a second domain and called it rawhide.

Question,
How do I configure rawhide with an IP so I can either ssh or telnet to
it?

Have you installed other operating systems, i.e. RedHat EL3.0 to run in
a domain?

Thanks,
Mike