Re: [Xen-users] xen and 64 bit host OSes

> I understand that 64-bit support for xen (from the
> side of host OSes) will be a little late, so i have a
> couple

x86_64 support will be available with the 3.0 release.  Other 64-bit archs
(IA64, PPC64) will feature in future releases.

> of questions:
> 1) Can i install a x86 32-bit xen kernel on x86_64 pc,
> without problems?

You should be able to run 32 bit Xen and 32 bit XenLinux on an x86_64 PC no
problem.

> 2)If i install a x86_64 xen kernel, can i run 32-bit
> host OSes on it?
> I know little about Xen, so i'd like to clear these
> out.

Probably best not to use the term "host" because there isn't really a host OS
in Xen.  We have "Xen" - runs on the hardware and supports all guests; we
have domain 0 - a guest with special powers to access the hardware; we have
domUs - multiple unprivileged domains using services from dom0 and Xen.

If you're running 64 bit Xen on a host, you won't be able to run 32 bit Xen
guests.  If you buy some of the new VT-enabled hardware (enabling you to run
unmodified guests) you'll be able to run unmodified 32-bit and 64-bit guests
on a 64-bit Xen.

HTH,
Mark