[Xen-users] Kernel panic recoverable by hitting <enter>?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Tobias F. Leucht" <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:15:33 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:13:35 +0000

Hi *,

I'm running several xenified systems [UP|SMP]/[P4,Athlon,Xeon] from multiple maufacturers [HP,Intel,IBM,Dell] in different CoLos since early 2004 24/7 in test as well as production scenarios without any noteworthy problems.

But, suddenly, a Dell PowerEdge 1750 equipped with SMP Xeon@xxxxxxx and 4GB DDR ECC RAM (from crucial.com) running under xen-2.0.5 with 2.6.10-xen0 on Debian Sarge and carrying 22 domUs [Sarge|FC4|*BSD] under medium load disappeared this afternoon from the network - both the dom0 and all domUs.

The remote-hands service claimed that there was a kernel panic on the system's console showing loads of hexdumps and something related to 'memory stack' - unfotunately, the guy couldn't remember exactly what was shown on the screen [and, sadly, I've no serial console attached to that machine and no terminal server, of course ;-)].

Now the odd part, at least for me as I never heard of such a thing: the technician also claimed that, after pressing the enter key, the system returned to 'normal operation' and showed a conosle login.

When the machine reappeared back on the net it looked like as if nothing had happened: Uptime of dom0 is still >90 days, neither the logs of dom0 nor those of the domUs show any suspicious entries - except some of the domU's services complaining about the lack of network connectivity (openvpn, etc...).

Do you guys have heard of user-confirmable kernel panics? (I just grepped through the xen- and linux-sources but found nothing; Google wasn't of much help, either.)

Was the remote-hands-guy telling me fary tales merely to draw off attention from some colo-internal network problems? Or could that be a xen-specific experience? How to track that down?

Regards,

Tobias