Re: [Xen-users] Fedora and Xen slowdown

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 20:52 -0400, Luke wrote:
> I just installed Xen on a Fedora Core 4 machine according to the
> quickstart instructions on the Fedora website (which, notably include
> nothing about moving TLS).
>
> However, on booting the new xen kernel, I get a slowdown of 400-500%.
> This basically renders the system unusable.  I've tried moving TLS out
> of the way, but I still get the big scary message on bootup of the new
> kernel telling me that I'm using TLS emulation, and that it will be
> slow.  Should I be seeing this message? (seems like I should be, from
> what I've seen on google).
>
> What could be causing this slowdown?  Should I expect this from a xen
> kernel?  note that I'm running no domUs.
>
> I did check that SELInux was disabled.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --

Maybe the kernel rpms you are using have all the kernel debugging
enabled, your options in this case are to rebuild the kernel you have
without all the extra debugging or build from source without the
debugging options. I noticed that the
kernel-xen0-2.6.12-1.1454_FC4.i686.rpm has quite a few debugging options
enabled. This will have impact on performance, probably much worse on
non scsi based machines due to the extra IO delays.

Regards,
Ted