RE: [Xen-users] LVM support in Xen unstable

  • To: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:55:41 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:53:18 +0000

> I am testing Xen unstable and now run into unexpected
> difficulties with lvm support.
>
> I have started with the source this time and have compiled
> lvm support
> into the domU kernel. But when I start the domU the vbd driver cannot
> connect to the configured volumes. I have tried those syntaxes:
>
> disk=['phy:/dev/lvmvol01/testhost-boot,sda1,w' ...]
> disk=['phy:lvmvol01/testhost-boot,sda1,w'...]

Hi Dirk.

Are you sure lvm is the right place to look for the cause ? As far as I
can grasp from the above, you are just exporting lvm volumes from dom0
to domU which will see a normal SCSI block device /dev/sda1 (at least
you are using the exact same syntax as I am in Xen 2.0.6 stable). You
don't need an LVM driver in domU for that.

> The error the vbd driver names is "error -22". The domU
> crashes since it cannot mount a root fs.

There is another thread titled "xenU vbd error -22" - perhaps that will
bring you further than trying to find an lvm cause ?

Hope this helps
-- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark