Re: [Xen-users] installing a new domU

  • To: "Robbie Dinn" <robbie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Stephan Böni <boeni@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:00:26 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:57:48 +0000

>  > Hi all
>  >
>  > I have a stupid question...
>  >
>  > How do you actually install a new OS inside a new domainU ?
>
> No, it's not a stupid question.
>
> However I didn't find a general answer to that question

That may be different. If you're using SUSE 10.0 you can it do this way:

First create a filesystem which will be the root filesystem for your domU. If
you have lvm installed and a volume group created you can create this
filesystem as following:

lvcreate -L 8g -n root xenvg
# this creates a volume named root with a size of 8 GB in the volume group xenvg

mkfs -t reiserfs /dev/xenvg/root
# this makes a reiser filesystem on this volume

mount -t reiserfs /dev/xenvg/root /mnt
# this mounts the filesystem on /mnt

Now can fill up this filesystem:

yast dirinstall
# this starts the yast module called dirinstall. Select here as target
directory /mnt and all your software you like to install. Then go to "Next".
The packages will be installed now. Finally you can exit yast again.

cd /mnt/boot
cp /boot/*xen* .
cd /mnt/etc
echo "/dev/hda1 / reiserfs defaults 1 1" > fstab
rm -f mtab
cp /etc/passwd .
cp /etc/shadow .
cp /etc/ssh/sshd_config ssh/sshd_config