[Xen-users] live migration - copy-on-write device

Hi all,

I downloaded the latest XenDemo CD (2.0.6) and did some live migration. As I
saw, a COW (copy-on-write) device is used for the domUs shipped on the CD.

So for live migration, the master-image (e.g. root.fs for Debian guest) has to
be on the other Xen host, but the COW device is transferred during live
migration. I am curious how this works and if it would be possible to
transfer the whole root fs of a guest over the net like it's done with the
COW device.

It's written everywhere that live migration is only possible with a network
block device, such as GNBD, DRBD, iSCSI or via NFS.

My idea is why can't local block devices be transferred during live migration
if a longer migration time is accepted, in contrast to COW devices which can
be transferred.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me understanding the mechanism
behind it or just give me some brief hints how to get that done. I've already
tried to check out the source code but still don't understand properly how
this works.

-- Michael