[Xen-users] OS kernels ports, VT, Pacifica & performance

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Sylvain Coutant" <sco@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:54:03 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:54:10 +0000

Hi all,

First, I'm not sure this post should have been sent to xen-devel or here.
Please, any list owner : forward to xen-devel if you read this and feel it
should have gone there.

I wonder what will be the advantage, in terms of performance, of having
optimized kernels for XenU when VT/Pacifica will be there.

AFAIK, using "standard" kernels means emulating peripherals (network card and
so on) on dom0. Xen "optimized" or "ported" kernels should have a performance
advantage. But has this perf increase already been evaluated ?

Question behind this : does it worth the work to port some other OSes to Xen
architecture ?

Regards,

--
Sylvain COUTANT