[Xen-users] Re: xm balloon problems

Ernst Bachmann wrote:
Balloon works by having a kernel driver inside the dom allocate a chunk of memory and releasing that chunk back to xen. Ballooning a domain to more memory than it initially had would require the balloon driver to allocate a negative ammount of memory, which simply isn't possible.

I'd think there'd be some way to expose extra memory allocated at runtime, even if it's not exactly an efficient one.

At a minimum, one could expose extra memory through a MTD driver and add it as high-priority swap -- and I'm sure better options are available as well.