Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen for network services (aka web/mail/dns etc)

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Simon <greminn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:24:51 +1300
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:24:47 +0000

On 12/2/05, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The main thing im worried about at the moment is the SMP capacity of
> > servers and Xen. if im going to be depoying in feb 2006 (gives me a
> > couple of months to test etc).. Should i be working with Xen 3?
>
> You should at least evaluate Xen 3, since the 2.0.x series is not actively
> developed any more.  Xen 3 will give you SMP capacity you want, as well as
> various other funky stuff.

Thanks Mark, I am installing now :)

On the subject of hardware, i am looking at the xSeries 336 from IBM
(as discussed already). These have dual xeon's. 1 of the above (to
begin with), 4GB of RAM and RAID1 for the host OS. The AOE EtherDrive
for storage for the domU's (giving the ability to move a domU from
server to server?) - is this overkill?. We also would have our current
2 x Xeon server (custom build), giving 2 servers in total.

These are the domUs that i would want to have:

- apache/php domU
- apache/asp(sun asp) domU
- dbmail/imap/pop domU
- smtp-in/av/spam domU
- smtp-out/av domU (for autheticated clients)
- mysql domU (for apache servers)
- mysql domU (for dbmail and mydns)
- dns (mydns) domU

What would be the best way to spread the domUs across the available servers?