[Xen-users] minor miracles (a xen 3.0 story)

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:13:23 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:13:19 +0000

since the Christmas season is a time for stories of miracles, I will share with you the tale of a forced transition between 2.0.4 and the current unstable.

A couple of days ago I had a power outage which went longer than my UPS capacity. On restoration of power, I discovered the system wouldn't boot. It looked like an earlier gentoo update went south and took my dom0 with it. so I immediately turned to ubuntu and started building a new dom0. I had trials and tribulations with lvm on the system disk but eventually, identified all the device drivers I needed to have compiled in because I really didn't want to wrestle with initrd. After building new configuration files, all of the old domU's started up without modification and ran. A Christmas miracle.

Now all is not perfect, occasionally imap locks up and I can't kill any of the processes so I need to restart the domU machine. I want to migrate all of these domU's to ubuntu based systems hence my other message about domU generation problems.

But I am very glad it works as well as it does.  I can catch my breath now.

--- eric