RE: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0.0 released!

> I've had 3.0-unstable debs prepared for awhile now; hadn't
> uploaded them, for several reasons:
>
> 1) xen-unstable required a 2.6.12 base kernel; this no longer
> exists in
>    debian, so it wasn't possible for me to build-depend on
> it, so I could
>    create a standard unified-diff.

Do you have 2.6.14? You could build based on linux-2.6-xen.hg, but this
hasn't has s much testing (we know of at least on issue on x86_64)

> 2) vif-route.sh is buggy; it doesn't handle the case where
> multiple adapters
>    exist.  So, dom0_ip(and the functions it calls) ends up
> returning 2 ip
>    addresses, which makes ifconfig complain.
>
>    I've got a fix hot-patched on our deployed server, I'll be
> sending that
>    soon.

Please post it, thanks.

> 3) It appeared that when I tried the final 3.0.0 release,
> that xenstored was
>    very sick.  I had a previous(20051116 snapshot) installed,
> and the tdb file
>    was corrupted(sorta).  xenstore-list / shows to local
> paths, but no vm nor
>    tools.  Removing the file 'fixed' this.  I'm not certain
> exactly what
>    happend, tho.

It's possible that the install scripts should delete the database when
performing an upgrade. I don't think there have been any format changes
in a while, though.

> 5) I see it's not possible to have both a xen microkernel
> that supports both
>    pae and non-pae.  For individuals who are compiling
> themselves, that's
>    fine; they can select which they want.

Yep, no real way round that. Most users are already trained to this
thanks to it being a compile time option in Linux.

>    Also, what other options are available, that would require multiple
>    compiles?  Also, I don't see a concise list of what config
> options I can
>    tweak for xen itself; the documentation is a bit poor in
> that regard(pae
>    isn't even mentioned in the documentation; you have to
> read a separate
>    README).

Having a debug/verbose build of xen is sometimes handy for debugging
things, but since debug builds are deliberatly combatitive its probably
not a good idea for production.

Ian