Re: [Xen-users] Dual Core processor options

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Simon <greminn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:22:15 +1300
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:23:31 +0000

On 12/9/05, Steve Dobbelstein <steved@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Simon <greminn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 12/07/2005 08:13:32 PM:
>
> > On 12/8/05, Steve Dobbelstein <steved@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I wrote a little script to parse the output of "xm dmesg", extract the
> CPU
> > > information, and print it out in a simpler format.  Here is some sample
> > > output from my 4 processor, dual core, hyperthreaded machine.
> >
> > Can you share your script?
>
> (See attached file: xen-cpu-topology)
>
> Disclaimer:  The script was a quick little write-up to put the CPU
> information from "xm dmesg" into a form that I could quickly understand.
> It doesn't have a whole lot of error handling.  It is based on my
> observations of the "xm dmesg" output I gathered from two machines.  It is
> possible that the script may not parse correctly "xm dmesg" output from
> your machine if it is significantly different from what I observed on my
> two machines.  It is possible the script may not parse correctly any future
> output of "xm dmesg" if Xen changes the format of what it reports.
>
> That said, I hope the script is useful and will welcome any comments,
> suggestions, and corrections.
>
> Steve D.

THanks Steve,

What specific processor's are you using for your server, also, is it a
brand-name? I would be interested in hearing about the HW involved and
what you are using them for (generally eg how many domUs and what they
do). As i am sorting initial thoughts on our HW choices at the moment.

We are currently looking at IBM sSeries dual-processor servers with
dual core processors. These have been released in the US and are
schduled for release here (in New Zealand) Jan 2006.