RE: [Xen-users] SCSI and ATA not working in Linux-Dom0 (Xen 3.0)

> after some days of trying and failing ... and googling, I
> finally decided to
> post this question here.
>
> Why is SCSI and IDE not working in a Dom0 (Linux-Kernel
> 2.6.12) in Xen 3.0?
> This is my system:
>    * (relly cheap) SIS-based Mainboard (Elitegroup K6 SOM+)
> with non-swappable Duron XP 1400+ .
>    * Adaptec 2940U SCSI Controller (using the _new_ aic7xxx-driver)
>    * A SCSI harddisk (36GB, Seagate)
>    * 512MB RAM
>
> There are not problems when with those kernels:
>    * 2.6.14.2 (non-Xen)
>    * 2.6.11.12 (Xen 2.0.7)
>
> There's no chance to boot the kernel acpi-enabled, acpi=off
> is mandatory on
> this system. The boot process stops with this message:
>
>  Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)

That's pretty odd. I'd have put money on you putting the acpi=off line
on the kernel command line rather than Xen's, but it looks like you have
it right.

Have you checked to see whether there's a BIOS update that fixes the
acpi issues? Turning acpi off should only be used as a last resort.

Also, have you tried booting from the demo CD and having a poke around.
Does it see your hardware OK?

Ian