Re: [Xen-users] MD/EVMS on domU?

Andy Repton wrote on 12/13/2005 06:25:26 AM:

> Thanks for the info Steve,
>
> > First off, do not have both RAID autodetect and EVMS discover your RAID
> > arrays.  (That restriction needs to be noted more prominently in the
EVMS
> > docs.) They conflict with each other.  Either disable RAID autodetect
(use
> > fdisk's "t" command to change the partition types to 83 (Linux)) and
let
> > EVMS discover the arrays, or disable RAID support in EVMS by deleting
the
> > md-*.so plug-in in /lib/evms/<version>/.
>
> I checked and the partitions are type 83.

That's good.  The MD autodetect kernel code shouldn't find them, hence, you
should not see anything in /proc/mdstat until evms_activate is run.

> > Off hand I don't see any reason why you should not be able to use MD
RAIDs
> > and EVMS in a domU.
>
> I've re-emerged evms to see if that was the problem but no change.
>
> The kernel has all of the LVM/DM options compiled in.

I assume you mean the domU kernel, right?

> When I evms_activate -d 9, I get three lines of:
>
>  _3_ LocalDskMgr: check_multipath: Cannot get list of DM devices.
>
> in my log file. Could this point to the problem?

That looks like a clue.  Sounds like DM is not in the kernel or the
mechanism to talk to DM is broken.  Please send me the gzipped
evms_engine.log.  I'll see if there are any other clues in it that might
help.

Steve D.