[Xen-users] Re: Fwd: evms_engine.log after upgrade to 2.5.4

Andy Repton wrote on 12/13/2005 11:23:51 AM:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I've just seen your message on the xen users list, I've been talking
> to Kevin about it on the irc channel and he suggested upgrading to
> 2.5.4. This hasn't fixed the problem and I've sent the attached log to
> Kevin, but thought I should let you see it too. Kevin is thinking that
> it has something to do with the failure to get a disk geometry.
>
> Kevin says he'll be back soon, so if we get it debugged I'll let you
> know and update the xen users with the result.
>
> If you have any ideas whilst Kevin is away, fire them at me and I'll
> try them out.

Looking at the log you sent I see two problems.  One is that the
Device-Mapper DM_LIST_DEVICES ioctl is returning a zero return code but a
NULL pointer for the list of devices.  Kevin knows more about Device-Mapper
than I do, so I will let him address that issue.

The second problem is that the Local Disk Manger is not getting the
geometry for the disks it finds and therefore returns no disks.  This sound
exactly like the problem reported at
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-12/msg00043.html
That problem has yet to be resolved.  I highly suspect that the solution
will be to make EVMS report a default geometry the way that fdisk does.
I'll work up a patch for you to try.  Stay tuned.

Steve D.