Re: [Xen-users] Re: Fastest way to get a Xen server running

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Rickard Borgmäster <doktorn@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:31:24 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:33:20 +0000

Hello,

Well, the instructions are all there. The guide and the installer CD is
the powerful tools that make it happen. Following the guided debian
install (more or less just accepting defaults) and then rebooting the
machine, and a dom0 setup is done within the hour.

The document then links to another document explaining some steps for
"debootstrap". Following those, and 30 minutes later I had a base domU
configuration. Aid a few minutes stripping it from unnecessary services
such as cron, exim etc (unnecessary for this purpose at least). Apt-get
quagga and just watch it install within the minute. An outdated
module-init-tools gave us some problems until we found out what was
causing quaggas daemons not to start up. Solved rather quickly due to
google-power :-)

Assigning each domU 8MB's of ram was the least amount that it would
start in (remember, totally stripped from services, but still stock
kernel). A few quick restarts later we found out that quagga and it's
daemons wouldn't run in less than 14 MB's of RAM. Once the domU
configuration was done, it was shut down and it's filesystem image file
was copied x10 along with a separate config file. And then for the real
goal with this test: would it be possible to run 10 virtual routers at
the same time, in a P3 with 256MB RAM?

And the answer is yes.

It might be possible to push things even harder, but 10 virtual routers
is the critical amount for our project. The rest of available memory
have other purposes for our solution. And that is X, Firefox and
possibly Ethereal. The goal is to produce a virtual router laboration
environment, where a student can have all 10 router terminals on the
screen while viewing HTML exercise instruction in Firefox and maybe
capturing traffic in Ethereal.

All this should be put on a single LiveCD so that a student will be able
to do exercises at home using a standard PC, and no access to physical
routers. This way students get a really powerful tool for preparing for
scenarios with real hardware.

My original post telling about this project is here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/5384/

Best regards,
Rickard Borgmäster

SC Leung (PISA) wrote:
Hi Rickard,

Congratulate you success in Xen.
I am curious how you build up the virtual domU with router software in such a
short time. What is the approach? What
tool do you use in router software?

Regards,
SC Leung