[Xen-users] some beginnerkernel questions

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "md" <md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:19:06 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:13:06 +0000

Hi List,

I run XEN 2 since some month (unfortunatly installed by a fiend of mine). Recently I bought some new hardware and tried to get XEN 3 running on a Debian Sarge 3.1.

I installed via the Debian installer a RAID 1 with LVM. even though there are some devfs_mk_dir errors systems comes up.

Now I installed XEN but system doe not boot as the boot device seems not to be recocnized by the kernel. I found the message already dealt with in some threads...

Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floopy.
VFS: Insert root floopy and press ENTER

So I nw know that I have to recompile the XEN kernel according to my system.

Two questions:

I never kompiled a kernel before - so is there maybe a way to keep my Debian confirguration that is working and just add this to the XEN stuff?

Regarding the devfs_mk-dir issue I found the solution to upgrade to kernel 2.6.13 or above. Is it corrct tat XEN 3 is still using 2.6.12 and as I have to recompile the kernel in any case - how can I do this with the latest stable version 2.6.14.4?

Any help woudl be appreciated

Mathias