Re: [Xen-users] RE: XEN on evms root

  • To: Adam Carheden <adam.carheden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:19:34 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:22:17 +0000

Adam Carheden wrote:
> Did this thread ever get resolved?
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-10/msg00490.html
>
> I'm having the same issue with LVM. I'm running gentoo on DOM0. I
> compile my own kernel from the gentoo sys-kernel/xen-sources package
> but use `genkernel lvm2 initrd` with
> /usr/src/linux->/usr/src/linux/linux-2.6.12.6-xen.
>
> If I try to load the the initrd that comes with  xen-2.0.7, it seems
> to find it okay (though it barfs for other reasosn), but it refuses to
> find my genkernel initrd. If I boot that kernel without an initrd, I
> can successfully mount /dev/ram0, so I know ramdisks are working. I
> think the xen kernel maps dev/ram0 to some place other that wherever
> GRUB puts the 2nd module.
>
> If anyone has an initrd working with Xen-3.0 on Gentoo, please let me know!

I have done a bunch of genkernel troubleshooting / patching and
finally got the EVMS / Gentoo / XEN combo to work.

Can only make it work using INITRD though, not INITRAMFS.  Genkernel
generates invalid INITRAMFS images on my box, I haven't quite figured
why, but at least that's why _I'm_ seeing "RAMDISK: Couldn't find a
valid RAM disk image starting at 0".

I've sent a couple of patches upstream, but I think the genkernel
maintainer is generally reluctant to re-enable INITRDs without a
better reason than "it's the only thing that works with Xen".
Specifically, finding out why the generated INITRAMFS images are
somehow corrupt would be very nice.

Could you try a known-to-be-working INITRAMFS image and an INITRD
image and see if that fixes your problem?