Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U was [Xen-users] Poor hard disk performance on xen-3/dom0

  • To: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: David H <davidh.davidh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:33:46 -0800
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:38:22 +0000

>users really should be using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U.

This is very good advice, and easy to follow.  If you are building Xen
for testing or production use the "xen" kenel.  It is much more like
the kenel in most distributions, everything compiled as a module.

Just edit the top level Makefile so that this line:

KERNELS ?= linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU

looks like this

KERNELS ?= linux-2.6-xen

You will get a single kernel and modules which can be used for both
Domain0 and all DomainUs.

Copy the modules directory  /lib/modules/2.6.whatever-xen to the
/lib/modules directory of your VM and make an initrd with mkinitrd.
You will need to add the initrd to your grub config.

Takes a little longer to build the kernel this way, but for most
people it is much easier to deal with.

If this is not documented it should be.  I will take a look at the
wiki over the weekend and add something if it is not already there.

David