Re: [Xen-users] Re: changing hostname in a chroot [was: changing settings]

  • To: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anand <xen.mails@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:44:14 +0530
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:19:51 +0000

Thanks for the clarification. I will edit the files.

On 1/6/06, Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anand wrote:
> mount -o loop centos.img /mnt/disk
>
> Now i did a chroot to /mnt/disk and executed hostname -v xyz.test.com
> <http://xyz.test.com> and exited from it.
>
> The hostname changed inside the image, however it also changed for the
> host machine. I am confused here, after doing a chroot, shouldn't the
> hostname change only inside the chrooted image ? and not on the host
> machine ? Any help would be appreciated.

The hostname command doesn't make any changes to the disk; rather, it
only tells the running system what its hostname is.

Since you're using the same system (the same kernel) whether or not
you're in the chroot, running hostname inside a chroot is going to have
the same impact as running hostname outside your chroot.

If you want to actually change the hostname for your CentOS image, find
the configuration files in /etc used by CentOS to store the hostname,
and change those with the editor of your choice.

--

regards,

Anand