Re: [Xen-users] VT laptop anyone?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 08:19:34AM +0100, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Hi David,
> David H schrieb:
> > For those interested in VT, both Apple and Dell now have VT enabled
> > laptops with Intel Core Duo mobile procs.  Apple also has a $1200 US
> > iMac with a Core Duo CPU.
>
> I am sorry to interrupt your dreams (as my dreams have been postponed as
> well) but the current Yonah processor does not support VT. So Apples
> MacBook Pro will not support VT, and I cannot imagine that Dell has a
> hold on different Yonahs. Would have been great so have MacOS X and
> Windows running concurrently on a machine that looks like not having
> been assembled from garbage (okay, so much for outing).
>
> Seems like we still have to wait, since one of the next steppings of
> Yonah should support VT (now it is simply deactivated).
>
> If anyone here has different info, please correct me.

According to

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table.pdf

All the duo processors have VT support.

There is a note attached which says this:

    Intel Virtualization Technology requires a computer system with a
    processor, chipset, BIOS, virtual machine monitor (VMM) and for
    some uses, certain platform software, enabled for
    it. Functionality, performance or other benefit will vary
    depending on hardware and software configurations. Intel
    Virtualization Technology-enabled VMM applications are currently
    in development.

Thats quite a lot of qualifications... BIOS being the major one probably.

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick