Re: [Xen-users] Xen handling of graphics card

Am Freitag, 13. Januar 2006 00:10 schrieb Jayesh Salvi:

> > > Xen-Windows video

> > > traversing the

> > > Maybe this

> > > You mean that Xen has it own VNC server embedded?
> > > Or does it depend on an external one managed by the OS?
> >
> > The VNC server is managed by Dom0.
>
>  I am confused by this discussion. As I understand it, VNC server is a tool
> which runs irrespective of the presence of any graphics card. I ran a VNC
> server inside domU and connected to it from a vnc client in dom0. I am sure
> vice-versa is also possible. And since VNC servers are available for all
> platforms (including windows and MAC), in VT environment when windows will
> be run in domU, you can run a VNC server inside guest  Windows and connect
> to it from dom0 or any other machine (provided there is network connection
> between these virtual machines).
>
> I don't know how VNC server/client renders images or marshals them over
> wire (may be they have some in built emulated stuff), but I am pretty sure
> they don't use native graphics card. That is why even though VNC will solve
> the problems of GUI to guest OSes, it won't solve problems like playing
> high end games in guest windows instance.

I think you will have a virtual pci device in your domU's windows. This
virtual vga cards looks like a std. vga adapter to your windows. The virtual
vga adapter doesn't render anything to a vga or dvi port (because there is no
such port on a virtual pci device *g*), but will make the windows session
available through vnc (don't know on dom0 or anyhow on domUs IP). So you will
be able to see windows booting, even if at this stage no vnc server could
even run. I am not sure what about text mode, but that's probably I just
because I never saw a vnc server providing a terminal or something like that
(for example dos, linux, ...)

Never though about it. Should I be able to see vnc from a native linux running
on a vt system? even in textmode? I guess so... :)

Hmmm, I think that's a quite easy but beautiful way to solve the vga adapter
problem for windows and all other domainUs running natively on a VT cpu. A
standard vga adapter is supported in every pc os.

that brings up another question... as I read before, the emulated devices are
producing (at the moment noticeable) overhead. Is the vga adapter also
producing noticeable overhead, even if no vnc client is connected? If the
adapter always produces overhead, does it make sense to put the "monitor" in
standby after 1 minute of inactivity in the windows vga adapter settings?
Would that produce less overhead then to have always some data going to your
vga adapter?

--Ralph