Re: FW: [Xen-users] Memory management questions

Satoshi Uchida wrote:
> When domain is initialized (started up), memory attribute secure needed
> memory and memmax attribute is setup restriction and extra mem attribute
> arranges balloon memory.
> However, first restriction decide memory and memmax attributes, and
> balloon secure by memory attributes, so mem-max reflects correctly.
> It is nearly to memory attributes.
> After domain waked up, new restriction changes by xm mem-max command.
>
> So, memory information in xm list is not correctly, but show your
> request.

OK, thanks. If I understood correctly, I have to do a `xm mem-max`
before setting the amount of memory with `xm mem-set'. But now something
really strange happens. I booted dom2 as described before (with
memory=256 and extra="mem=768M"). Right after it's up, `cat
/proc/meminfo` in dom2 shows a MemTotal of 775108k as expected. Now I do
a `xm mem-max 2 512M`, and `xm top` correctly shows this, `xm list`
still shows the 256M. So now I do a `xm mem-set 2 512M`. Now `xm list`
shows that the domain has 512M available. But `xm top` shows, that dom1
is using only 262116k with a MEMMAX of 524288k. And the strangest thing
is: `cat /proc/meminfo` in dom2 now shows a MemTotal of only 262136k, so
the virtual machine believes that its available memory has shrunk to
256M from 768M. I thought that the balloon driver only allocates/frees
memory but doesn't actually do memory hot(un)plugging?

Could you please explain this to me?

Thanks,
Michael