RE: [Xen-users] cluster - basic understanding

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Novaes, Reynaldo" <reynaldo.novaes@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:35:31 -0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:43:12 +0000

--- Chris de Vidal <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So one Cluster is build by 5 nodes here. Involving XEN - does
>> that mean following a) or b)?
>(...)
>> b)
>>
>> Application        x    y
>> Cluster           ---  ---
>> XENdomU        U  U U  U U
>> XEN dom0       xxxx xxxx xxxx
>> Hardware        HH   HH   HH
>>
>> Here three physical servers host a xen dom0 each with two
>> domU's. Two of these domU's on diffrent HH now build a cluster.
>

>The correct answer is b.

One think I didn't understand in this option is: why do you need to introduce
another software layer (XEN in this case) in the system? It seems to me that
the desirable features come from the cluster layer (OpenSSI) not from the XEN
layer. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Reynaldo