Re: [Xen-users] Re: multiple disk images, how to?

  • To: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:30:25 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:38:02 +0000

Charles Duffy wrote:
> Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > ...you would want at least be able to throw a warning when it happens,
> > since regular users probably expect standard config-file semantics
> > from a config file, not Python semantics.
>
> Extending lists by describing the same item multiple times isn't Python
> semantics,

I know.  I never argued that it was.  You must've misunderstood me..

> and not every config-semantics-compliant parser issues
> complaints when redefinitions occur.

My point exactly, a whole lot of them actually uses redefinitions for
something purposeful.

> You're arguing to make things uglier for users who take
> advantage of advanced features

Mmh.  Yes.

> for the purpose of implementing a feature which is strictly a
> nice-to-have to help folks realize when they've screwed up.

Wrong - to inform regular users that the config file is not in the
syntax that they (anyone) would expect.

> Now, if there weren't documentation to help prevent folks from screwing up,
> you might almost have a point --

Ah, "almost", now you're just poking me in the eye for the fun of it.
Don't do that...

> It's already documented that it's Python code

Ah, if it's documented, fair enough then.
But alas...

> -- xmexample2's first line of documentation text describes it as
> "# Example Python setup script for 'xm create'",

"Python setup script" in no way implies that the script is a "Python script".

"Python script used to setup domains by 'xm create'" would have, but
that's not what it says.

> while xmexample1 starts with "# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'".

Again, the above in no way implies that the file itself is a Python script.

> Furthermore, the xmexample* files include examples of
> the Pythonic list syntax, so there's a clear reference to use when
> defining multiple drives (or whatnot).

That's not good enough.  You cannot expect newbies to dig in to the
most complicated features / configurations of a system just to get to
know how to achieve the basics.

> so yes, each and every example configuration file given does indeed
> already note that it's Python syntax.

No, you're wrong.