Re: [Xen-users] Better way to install?

  • To: Tomas Florian <tflorian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Eric Peterson <srcfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:09:45 -0600
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:17:30 +0000

On 1/17/06, Tomas Florian <tflorian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Whenever I have to install a new virtual machine I usually use dd or
even more often copy the files of a preinstalled distribution
skeleton... it works.  But, the disadvantage of this is that I have to
first install at least one on a real machine before I can grab the files
and start deploying virtually ... is there some way to boot directly
from an install CD and install the VM just as if it was a real machine
with a CD-ROM drive?

As I understand it you need a VT enabled processor and Xen is not quite ready for CD booting yet (though it is set to be soon).  For now if you want to do a CD based install you'll need to setup a partition, reboot the computer, and select that partition to install to.  Not exactly an ideal situation, but I'm not complaining. ;)