[Xen-users] confusion over memory, maxmem, balloon, etc

My goal for my xen setup is to allow the dom0 and domU to "share" memory, meaning that occasionally one of the domains will hog ram for a short time and then relinquish it so it can be used for other domains. I get the impression that xen can handle this, but I'm having a hell of a time getting straight information.

What does the "memory" parameter in a domU config file actually mean? Is this an amount of physical ram that is permanently reserved for the domU? Is this a minimum setting? Maximum setting? Is this the same parameter as dom0_mem param given to xen?

What exactly is the role of the balloon driver? Is this always present in the xen linux kernel or do I have to do something to turn it on? Is it something I need to control? Does it behave the same in dom0 and domU kernels?

What is the dom0_min_mem parameter? How is it set? Do domU's have this too?

When I type "xm list --long" I see a parameter called "maxmem". What does that mean? How is it set? I note that "xm list" will show maxmem as say 512, but "xm top" will show "no limit"???

I apologize for the barrage of questions, but the fragments of information I have been finding just leave me more confused and frustrated.

Thanks,
Dan.