Re: [Xen-users] what protocol is used for migration

Anthony.Golia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

thx.  one can migrate stateless (diskless) domUs that have their storage
on NFS and no SAN.  forgot about VPNs like ssh tunnel, etc.  if the
migration protocol uses one or two UDP or TCP ports it would lend itself
well to that, thx a lot.
The problem with using a tunnel is that without appropriate throttling you'll eat up a lot of CPU since you're copying a lot of data over the wire.

The protocol is very simplistic btw, pages (with their addresses) are sent over the wire and then finalized by transfering the configuration over. There are no protections against any sort of man-in-the-middle either so it's quite trivial to inject random badness into vms as they're migrated.

There is no authorization either for instantiating virtual machine migrations. If you've got got relocation enable, you should have it bound to a secure and isolated physical lan. Otherwise, you've got a security nightmare...

Regards,

Anthony Liguori