[Xen-users] Re: Getting started with Xen

  • To: <jhiver@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Alan C. Oehler" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:47:59 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:57:28 +0000

See http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDocs for links.

>Also I would like to know if there are known issues with the hardware I
>have ordered.

There are several instances of Dell 1850s in our database of machines that ran through all tests on the Xen 3 TestCD; take a look:

>I plan to use debian sarge for the host and all the virtual servers,
>does it sound like a reasonable choice for Xen?

As far as I know.

>Is it possible to "migrate" a virtual machine to a completely different
>PC (with different hardware specs)? That would be a very useful feature
>to have for upgradability.

Yes, with some obvious limitations. Of course the remote PC must be running Xen. It also must be on the same subnet, and to live-migrate its storage must be mountable by both machines. It also needs to be able support the same configuration of the VM. For example, if the VM is using 512MB of RAM on a physical host with 1 GB, it's not going to work if the remote PC has too little RAM to allocate to it, e.g. 512 MB of physical memory -- less than that is available to the VM because of the Xen Dom0 and overhead.

Contact XenSource, Inc. See http://www.xensource.com/support/