[Xen-users] Problem booting into Xen kernel

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Costa, Jeff" <Jeff.Costa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:00:03 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:25:04 +0000

I'm having a problem booting into the Xen kernel. The server is a HP DL385 Dual-Opteron with 4GB of RAM. The OS is CentOS 4.2 64-bit for AMD64. I have successfully installed Xen via the shell script method. After rebooting into the Xen kernel, I get the following boot messages and the server just freezes:

<snip>
Enabling SMP...
Brought up 2 CPU's
Initializing CPU#1
checking if image is initramfs... it is
Freeing initrd memory: 3668k freed
Grant table initialized
NET: Registered protocol family 16
PCI: Using configuration type 1

And that's it. The freeze occurs right after the PCI message is echoed to the screen. Any ideas?

PS: The Xen kernel seems to not honor the "panic=xx" attribute. When this freeze occurs, it requires a power-off/power-on sequence.

"This email (including any attachments) is confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient you must not copy, use, disclose,
distribute or rely on the information contained in it. If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
by reply email and delete the email from your system.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication
are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. Lend
Lease does not guarantee that this email or the attachment(s) are
unaffected by computer virus, corruption or other defects. Lend
Lease may monitor incoming and outgoing emails for compliance with
its Email Policy. Please note that our servers may not be located
in your country."