Re: [Xen-users] Poor performance with openldap 2.3.x (Berkeley DB 4.3or 4.4) on XEN 3.0

So after compiling from scratch a Xen-friendly glibc for rhel4U2.

From rpm redhat glibc source, after applying patchs and use following compilation parameters

env CFLAGS="-O2 -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs" ../configure --prefix=/usr --disable-profile --enable-add-ons --libexecdir=/usr/lib/glibc ; make ; make check

I have an error with nanosleep() in "make check"  under a xenU Domain.

After installing this new glibc  , no performance improvement.  BUT  an strace on openldap shows nanosleep calls very long to return (before and after this new librarie, and with/without tls) .  I think this is an explanation about long response and cpus inactivities if openldap spend all its time inside nanosleep().

Do you know a workaround  on a xen 3.0.1. I can compile almost everythink now.  XenU kernels, glibc libraries or openldap sources. I am a intensive Sun jvm user , for this soft I can't modify jvm code if a nanosleep() function is called ...

Alexandre LABICHE

From: "LABICHE Alexandre" <alexandrelabiche@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: per.buer@xxxxxxxxx
CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Poor performance with openldap 2.3.x (Berkeley DB 4.3or 4.4) on XEN 3.0.x
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:34:14 +0000

Hi Per ,

Yes I have disabled TLS and there 'is no performance improvement. I am on RHEL 4 Update 2 (great stability , on my opinion , far better than RHEL3 on SMP computers ...)

and I don't know exactly how to obtain a Xen-friendly glibc.  Sure !!! it should be interesting to do this, because of the 30 times less performance on openldap .

Alexandre LABICHE