[Xen-users] Xen3.0.1 on Breezy x86_64 compile hell

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Joshua Ginsberg <jag@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:55:29 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:06:38 +0000

Howdy --

I've been wrestling with compiling Xen 3.0.1 for a couple of days now
with no success as of yet. I started with just a plain vanilla install
on my dual AMD Opteron dual core (x86_64) with SATA software RAID (/boot
is RAID1, / is RAID5) running Breezy. I did make world with gcc 3.4.4
and installed the kernels. Upon reboot, I got a kernel panic for "unable
to mount root fs on unknown block". Examining the Breezy specific
documentation for such things, I built a config that took the XEN_
config statements from the default xen 3.0.1 kernel config, prepended
them to the default Breezy kernel config (less a few troublesome modules
listed below) and rebuilt. The compile dies with:

 arch/xen/x86_64/kernel/entry.S:1012: Error: no such instruction:
`paranoidentry do_machine_check'

I've compiled Xen at least a dozen times now, and I can't seem to find
the happy medium between a config that will boot and a config that will
compile. Anybody else had success with this, or perhaps some fu I know
not of? Thanks!

-jag

(1) Aforementioned reportedly troublesome modules:
 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PS2=
 CONFIG_SYNCLINK=
 CONFIG_LANCE=
 CONFIG_3C515=
 CONFIG_NI65=
 CONFIG_ELPLUS=
 CONFIG_ELMC_II=
 CONFIG_CS89x0=
 CONFIG_SCSI_IBMMCA=
 CONFIG_SCSI_MCA_53C9X=
 CONFIG_SCSI_ULTRASTOR=
 CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1542=
 CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST=

--
Joshua Ginsberg <jag@xxxxxxx>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator