Re: AW: [Xen-users] Exporting Dom0 disks to DomU as SCSI disks doesnot work

Christian ,
I am not able to understand this problem right away ,but SCSI major
number is 8 and i can see your kernel cribbing about registering block
device with  major number 8 when its booting up,..just before it
panics ....below , i have separated it with equal to marks

can you paste the output for the successfull hda bootup ??

RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
Xen virtual console successfully installed as tty1
Event-channel device installed.
netfront: Initialising virtual ethernet driver.
NET: Registered protocol family 2
Registering block device major 8
register_blkdev: cannot get major 8 for sd
xen_blk: can't get major 8 with name sd
Registering block device major 8
register_blkdev: cannot get major 8 for sd
xen_blk: can't get major 8 with name sd
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 32Kbytes
TCP established hash table entries: 131072 (order: 9, 2097152 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes)
VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 11:06 +0100, Christian Hertel wrote:
> Hello Digvijoy,
>
> > Does your kernel have inbuilt support for Logical Volumes
> > ,because your ouptut shows VFS is unable to mount root ,which
> > means dm-mod and multidevice modules  wasnt compiled into the kernel.
>
> Multi-device support is compiled into my DomU kernel, device-mapper is
> built as a module.
> But I don't think this has something to do with my problem because I'm
> exporting 2 logical volumes, not the LVM physical disk, so my DomU
> kernel shouldn't care about it. As I mentioned, it works if I export the
> volumes as hda1 / hdb1.
>
> I can provide my Dom0 and/or DomU kernel .config file if needed.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian

notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are
not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses.
Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not
liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail.
You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or
attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all
messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this
e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.