Re: [Xen-users] USB devices in domU with Xen3.0.1

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 21:58, Ralph Passgang wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 20:44 schrieb Joost Roeleveld:
> > Hi all,

<snipped question about USB support for DomU in Xen 3>

> this feature should be available as soon as 3.0.2 gets released, otherwise
> you could try xen-unstable (but don't know if unstable is stable enough for
> serious work right now) or even xen 2.0.7.

I prefer not to use 'unstable' unless I have no other choice.

> what kind of usb device do you want to have available in your domU? if it's
> "just" a block device you should be able to use the "disk =
> [ 'phy:<device>,<targetdevice>' ]" statement as for any other block device,
> at least in theory ;-P.

I thought of that option for an external harddisk (backup medium) except that
Dom0 will handle the backups.
What I'm looking for is support for USB printers, scanners and webcams. And
unfortunately none of these work as a block device.

I am currently using a seperate machine as the printer-server, but the whole
idea of using Xen was to end up with only one server instead of a collection.
(the missus isn't too pleased about all the hardware ;) )

Thanks about the 3.0.2, I'll look out for that one.

--
Joost