[Xen-users] Advanced XEN neworking for colocated machine

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "John Nowak" <xenware@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:12:44 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:26:03 +0000

Hi

I have dedicated server at colo place and received 5 public IPs.

I would like to setup networking in following style:

----eth0 (public IP) ----XEN server ---- domU1 (public IP)
                                                ---- domU2 (public IP)
                                                ---- domU3 (public IP)
                                                ---- domU4 (public IP)

I want to manage the traffic of the virtuals (domU):
- traffic accounting statistics for every domU
- traffic shaping/bandwith limiting for domUs

The server is connected at 100Mbit on eth0 and I would like every domU1 has
only a fraction of this speed (guranteed speed) like this:
domU1 --- 10Mbit
domU2 --- 30Mbit
No dynamic settings based on usage - just hard set bandwith limit.

XEN offer several networking techniques but which suits best this scenario:
bridging of routing?

Some examples of the setting will be greatly apreciated.

Is it possible to achieve such settings using shorewall?

Thanks for your time

John Nowak