Re: [Xen-users] External modem in domU

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-08/msg00602.html1

> > Regards,
> >
> > John Little
> > Hendricks Regional Health IS Department
> > 317-718-4752
> > jslittl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > http://www.hendrickshospital.org
> >

> John,
>
> If your serial ports are on a separate PCI card, you could use the
> functionality in Xen 2.0.x or in the xen-unstable tree to put that PCI
> card in your domU. There's some documentation for this in the Xen user
> manual now. This would probably be the easiest solution.
>
> If you have built-in serial ports... it will probably be harder. You'll
> need to manually specify to Xen which i/o ports and which IRQ to give to
> the domU. Xen 3.0.1 and later (maybe 3.0.0, I'd have to double-check
> when the functionality was introduced) have support for sharing i/o
> ports and interrupts, however there is no xend component for setting up
> the interrupt sharing (see tools/python/xen/xend/server/iopif.py for the
> i/o ports part). If you're interested in experimenting and building your
> own tools, I have some experimental code for adding the interrupt
> configuration support to xend that I may be able to post on the list.
>
> Ryan

Hello Ryan,

I am using 3.0.1 on an x86_64 sun box.   The serial ports are built in. I
would be interested in having a try at your experimental code for this.
Thinking about the pci part of that though would it be just as easy to get
an internal non-winmodem (if such exists-it's been a long time since if
messed with a modem)?

Regards,

John Little