Re: [Xen-users] Xend silently logs "Connection Refused" or "No such file or directory"

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 02:19:42PM -0700, Adam Carheden wrote:
> I've got two machines that I though were identical that are having two
> versions of the same problem. When I start xend, it logs "111,
> 'Connection Refused'" on one system and "2, 'No such file or direcotry'"
> on the other. Both systems show the exact same stack trace in xend.log,
> as show below, except for the last line (RuntimeError), which differ as
> explained above.
>
> I'm using xen-8885 on Gentoo Linux. I've also tried Xen 3.0.1. I have
> the same package/version running on two other machines without issue.
>
> If anyone has seen this or has ideas, please reply.

I've run into a similar problem when trying to mix and match Xen 3.0.1 tools
with the tip kernel (which, in retrospect, was obviously a bad idea).  In my
case, xenstore 3.0.1 fails to start when it cannot find /proc/xen/xsd_mfn.
You might try strace to find out if this is your problem:

  strace -f /etc/init.d/xend start >& out
  grep xsd_mfn out

In case anyone is interested, I'm trying to port the the Ubuntu Dapper
kernel to Xen.  I can see two options: (1) revert the kernel back to 3.0.1
compatibility, or (2) update the tools to tip.  Both seem to be nontrivial.
I'm currently attempting the former because Dapper uses 2.6.15 as a base,
but I have a feeling that the latter may prove a better course.