Re: [Xen-users] xm list not showing guest machines as "running"

On Thursday 23 February 2006 14:57, David Kowis wrote:

> as the screenshot [0] shows, my virtual machines aren't showing up as
> running. This causes me a few problems. One being if I do xm shutdown
> SMGL-1 it simply powers it down, it doesn't send the "shutdown signal"
> or whatever makes it go away :) I've done a from source install using
> the instructions mentioned [1]. Other than that it's working great. Am i
> supposed to start some sort of daemon on the guest VM so that xm
> list|top know that the machine is running? I'm really not sure why it's
> not showing up as "running." Occasionally, I'll see a "b" in there, so I
> know it's communicating somehow.
>
> I'm using xen 3.0.1.

Its normal they don't show as running. the running flag is only set if the
domain has ownership of a CPU just in that moment. If you run xen on a single
CPU system, no domU can ever show as running, as the cpu is obviously
currently in dom0, producing the xm top output.

"blocked" means: that domain is waiting for some IO to complete, that is, it
just passed a network packet / hdd request to the backend drivers and is
waiting for the answer.

to test the shutdown:

attach to the console with "xm console ...", then issue the xm shutdown from
another shell to see if it really does skip the shutdown process.

/Ernst