Re: [Xen-users] How vifX.Y and eth talk on dom0 with NAT configuration?

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 09:57:11PM +0100, bugone82@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi, in the official XenNetworking (
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking ) i didn't find reported
> how the NAT configuration works with xen.
> Does anybody know how the vifX.Y (10.X.X.128), gateway of any domU ethX
> (10.X.X.1) talk with the real ethX of the dom0?

I think Xen and XenNetworking are not dealing with NAT at all, they are
working at the ethernet level (OSI level 2).

NAT on IPv4 or IPv6 is done by the Linux kernel acting as a router (not a
hub or switch) between two interfaces (echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward) with iptables rules on the POSTROUTING net
filter.  It's done at the IP level (OSI level 3).  Thoses interfaces can be
connected to Xen bridges or be physical interfaces, it does not matter,

--
Sebastien Koechlin