Re: AW: [Xen-users] Problem booting domU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:22:31 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:23:52 +0000

Hello,

El jue, 09-03-2006 a las 12:38 +0100, Artur Schiefer escribió:
> hello angel,
>
> one mistake i once made, was formatting the lv's without creating a
> partition first.(create logvol-> fdisk /dev/volgroup/logvol (new linux
> type partition)->(restart-> mkfs.ext3 on /dev/volgroup/logvol->vgchange
> -aly ->..)

        I have tried this, but it doesn't work. I get a:

felis:/etc/xen# xm create dhcp1.cfg -c
Using config file "dhcp1.cfg".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected.
Device /dev/vm_volumes/root.dhcp1 is mounted in a guest domain,
and so cannot be mounted now.

        I've checked and I don't have any volume mounted. I have also try to
completely stop lvm system with the same result.

Christopher G. Stach II said:

> dom0 DOES need megaraid
> dom0 DOES need LVM
> dom0 DOES need block device backend
>
> domU DOES NOT need megaraid (or any other SCSI lowlevel drivers)
> domU DOES NOT need LVM
> domU DOES NOT need LVM RAID

        OK, I have tried with a domU kernel that supports and that doesn't
support it with the same results.

> domU DOES need block device frontend

> After you rebuild your kernels and reboot, make sure that the volume
> group(s) are recognized in dom0 and that you have /dev/<volume
> group>/<logical volumes> available.  I suppose for your volume group,
> based on your configuration, it would be /dev/vm_volumes/var.dhcp1,
> etc.

        logical volumes are working right, as I can mount them in the dom0.

>  If those are not available in dom0, it obviously won't work.  Also,
> your configuration should be like:
>
> phy:vm_volumes/root.dhcp1,sda1,w
>
> NOT
>
> phy:/vm_volumes/root.dhcp1,sda1,w
>
> To avoid any future confusion with SCSI major numbers, I would use
> xvda1
> instead of sda1 in your config (and the domU's fstab.)

        If I try with this config:

kernel = "/boot/xen-linux-2.6.12.6-atica-xenu"
memory  = 256
name    = "dhcp1"

vif = [ '' ]

disk    = ['phy:vm_volumes/root.dhcp1,xvda1,w',
                   'phy:vm_volumes/var.dhcp1,xvda2,w',
                   'phy:vm_volumes/swap.dhcp1,xvda3,w']

root    = "/dev/xvda1 ro"

        I get the same result:

felis:/etc/xen# xm create dhcp1.cfg -c
Using config file "dhcp1.cfg".
Error: Device 51713 (vbd) could not be connected.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática