[Xen-users] Unknown image type: VMX

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "David Goodlad" <dgoodlad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:48:24 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 04:49:40 +0000

Hi all

I am trying to get VMX guests working on my new server here.  The
machine has a Pentium D 920 on an ASUS P5WD2-E motherboard.  I've
updated the BIOS to the latest 0401, which added the virtualization
option.  I am running a fresh installation of Gentoo (64-bit).

When I try and run 'xm create' on a vmx config file, I get the following error:

Error: Error creating domain: unknown image type: vmx

I took a quick look at the python source where this error is output,
but I am not familiar enough with Python to fully trace it.  This is
the latest 'unstable' snapshot in the portage tree, changeset 9029.

I can't determine whether this is an issue with vmx support simply not
being built-in (the message seems to suggest this, but I am not sure),
or if it's doing some sort of hardware check to determine if 'vmx' is
allowed.  /proc/cpuinfo reports that the 'vmx' flag is enabled on both
processor cores, so I don't think it's unhappy with the hardware, but
I don't know enough about the internals to tell.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

--