[Xen-users] Re: I/O hangs with Xen 3.0.1 on Dell poweredge

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 11:35:34AM +0000, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
> I can boot dom0 and create and start other domains.  Unfortunately,
> whenever I do anything involving much disk access, or so it appears,
> the kernel appears to hang....
> I can get in on the serial console and use SysRq to
> send commands to the hung system, so I know the kernel is still
> responding, but all ssh sessions active on dom0 or on any other
> domain hang.  The syslog shows no message before the reboots,
> and there are no particular error messages in xend.log.

On Thu 16 Mar 2006 at 13:21:44 +0100, Otto Jongerius
<otto.jongerius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not a solution, but a workaround:
>
> I had the same problem and "fixed" it by passing "nousb" to domain0
> (which I don't really need on my servers anyway):
>
> title Xen 3.0 NoUSB
> root          (hd0,1)
> kernel /xen-3.0.1.gz dom0_mem=400000
> module /xen-linux-2.6.12.6-xen root=/dev/md0 ro console=tty0 nousb
> module /xen-modules-2.6.12.6-xen
> savedefault
> boot
>
> Adding ignorebiostables to the domainU's should work too. See this
> post for more info:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/12254

I don't see the relevance of the note at 12254, but I can confirm
that the nousb suggestion definitely appears to work around the
problem.  I've tried hitting the resulting system fairly hard,
but it just takes the load without a problem.  Many thanks, Otto.

     -- Owen
     Dr A V Le Blanc