[Xen-users] Re: PCI Passthrough to VMX Guest

  • To: mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "David Goodlad" <dgoodlad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:54:13 -0800
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:55:42 +0000

On 21 Mar 2006 15:46:27 +0000, M.A. Williamson <maw48@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry, PCI passthrough to VMX guests isn't supported - the guest has to be
> paravirt and be running the PCI frontend driver.
>
> The VMX spec does include some helpful features for passing PCI devices
> through to a guest, and I'm sure it's possible to make it work - in
> principle. I don't know of anyone actually planning to hack on it though
> :-(
>
> However, there are plans to improve the display performance for VMX guests,
> so you should find the virtual framebuffer will improve in future releases.
> I understand that using rdesktop in domain0 to connect to the guest also
> works very well and provides quite snappy UI performance.

Hi Mark

That's too bad that it's not supported.  It might be a good idea to
drop a note in the driver domains/PCI passthrough section of the docs
:)

I just got rdesktop going on here yesterday after having a heck of a
time trying to get the network working.  Apparently having an ethernet
device driven by the sky2 driver attached to a bridge makes the kernel
rather unhappy right now!  I'll confirm that about rdesktop, it is, as
you say, quite snappy.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!
Dave