Re: [Xen-users] domain migration doesnt migrate config files??

> So I had to Xen servers running.  Server 1 had 4 domUs on it.  I tried
> migrating them to Server 2 and was successful.  Note I did NOT do a
> live migration because that locks the sending server up.

:-(

> So after migrating my domUs to server 2, I went to shutdown server 1
> and accidentally powered off server2 also.  When I brought server 2
> back up, I could not restart any of the domUs and could not find any
> of their config files.
>
> Does migration migrate the entier domain (including sparse files,
> config files and so forth) or does it just migrate the data that Xen
> stores in RAM to get the machine running on the relocation server??

The domain's memory image is transferred.  Virtual disks are not migrated (are
you using a SAN, NAS, or similar?), and neither are config files.

The domain's configuration is migrated when the domain moves, but it's held in
memory - it's not stored on the disk.  I believe the state will persist as
long as that domain is running, and that server is up.

Cheers,
Mark

> Cheers
> Jeff
>
> --
> ------------------> Jeffrey Lane - W4KDH <-------------------
>                       www.jefflane.org
>                     Yet another IT Ronin
>
> The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
> rights, no police, no courts.  Don't talk about fairness or
> innocence, and don't talk about what should be done.  Instead,
> talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
> amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
> user base." -Paul Vixie

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!